You cannot open Word, Excel, or PowerPoint 2010 files or email attachments
“The file is corrupted and cannot be opened.”
“Word Experienced an error trying to open the file.”
“PowerPoint found a problem with content in
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link.
Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the “Did this fix the problem?” section.
Let me fix it myself
Set component security settings back to the default settings:
1. Open Control Panel.
2. Open Administrative Tools.
3. Open Component Services and expand the tree under Console Root to Computers –> My Computer.
4. Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
5. Select the Default Properties tab and set the following values:
Default Authentication Level: Connect
Default Impersonation Level: Identify
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the “Fix it for me
” blog or send us an email
The initiating process – Outlook or Internet Explorer or (with attachments saved to the hard disk drive) Windows Explorer, spawns an Office application process.
That process determines that the file is being opened from an Internet location and spawns a second Office application process that runs under restricted permissions. You can see that the process is running in the correct way by looking at its properties in Process Explorer. If a process is running under restricted permissions, there will be a tab labeled “Job.”
We create the following folder structure under C:Users
OICE_XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.X (Folder, where X is random generated hexadecimal numbers. This folder will have a copy of the original file, and three tmp files in it.)
AppData (Folder in OICE_XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.X)
Roaming (Folder in AppData)
Microsoft (Folder in Roaming)
Templates (Folder in Templates)
When this issue occurs, the sandbox process, running under restricted permissions, is created successfully. The OICE_ folder is created. But we cannot create the files and folders under that. To confirm that this is actually the issue, check under C:UsersAppDataLocalTemp. If there is an OICE_XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXX folder, but nothing in it, this is likely to be the problem.
for other considerations.